WSR

[From ASR] Why is William Gibson so clueless?

[snip]

I saw an interview with William Gibson (I'm sure that many of you will have
seen it too) and he is in fact technically clueless.  He talks about going
from typewriter to wordprocessor, and thinking that his machine was broken
because the floppy drive just sat there and made wierd noises for a long
time before it did anything.  That's probably why his books are reasonably
interesting and fantastic.  Could you imagine Neuromancer written by a
sysadmin:

   Inside the NIS master of the large sun cluster, Case looked around.
It was an old, poorly administered SunOS box.  He checked the permissions
on /usr/openwin/bin/loadmodule.   Bingo, 4755.  (and so on and so on ;)

--
Mark Haselden - Leviathan/MegaWatts | An optimist believes we live in
email markha@tartarus.uwa.edu.au    | the best of all possible worlds
__/   | http://wsrx.wsr.ac.at/~hjp/ |        (davidsen@tmr.com)