Linux New Media AG

Warum man seine Computer oefters booten sollte (RISKS 18.37)

Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 10:56:22 +0100 (BST)
From: Martyn Thomas <mct@praxis.co.uk>
Subject: Long-running systems

We have had a request from a client to rerun the training course on how to
start a system we delivered to them. It hasn't stopped for 18 months and
they have lost confidence that they can restart it if they need to do so.

So, it isn't only systems that get patched and warm-booted that lose the
ability to be cold-booted.

Is this a risk arising from delivering high-quality software?

Martyn Thomas, Praxis plc, 20 Manvers Street, Bath BA1 1PX UK.
Tel:  +44-1225-444700.   Email:   mct@praxis.co.uk 	Fax: +44-1225-465205

   _  | Peter J. Holzer             | If I were God, or better yet
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR                | Linus, I would ...
__/   | http://wsrx.wsr.ac.at/~hjp/ |        (davidsen@tmr.com)